What is MT4 error 136?
MT4 error 136 is interpreted as an “off quotes” problem of the MetaTrader 4 platform. Usually, an MT4 platform shows off quotes when it fails to locate the order price by the broker server or liquidity provider. In this guide, you will learn how to fix MT4 error 136.
An error code 136 in MT4 means the price entered for executing an order is already invalid or no longer available for activating an entry. The off quotes problem may occur due to various issues such as bad internet, extreme volatility, and communication delay between MetaTrader 4 and the broker’s server.
Having frequent off quotes problems is a serious issue especially for the day traders who require smooth entry and exit at the market. The fact is, when you can identify the reason behind an MT4 error 136, you can easily fix it by taking some proper actions. However, if your broker is completely liable for the problem then there is very little you can do to solve the issue. So, choosing the right broker plays an important role in avoiding the off quotes problem.
Why does MT4 error 136 happen?
MT4 error 136 happens for the following reasons:
- Bad internet: Poor internet connection is a common reason behind the off quotes problem. If your MT4 platform loses internet connection right after placing an order, it’ll show the error code 136. Also, it’ll show “Off Quotes” in a popup window. This problem happens when the MT4 platform fails to connect to the broker server and quote the order price due to a bad internet connection.
- A rejection from the broker server or liquidity provider: Sometimes, the broker or the liquidity provider rejects the order due to the unavailability of the price quoted by MT4. For example, you place a EURUSD sell order at 1.2020 with a maximum deviation of 5 pips. At the same moment, the broker offers a maximum selling price of 1.2010 which is clearly out of the deviation limit. As a result, the broker denies the order and the MT4 platform shows “off quotes”. Such problems may occur due to extreme market volatility and the incapability of the broker to match the real-time market price provided by the MT4 platform.
How to fix off quotes errors
Time needed: 5 minutes.
How to fix MT4 error 136 off quotes
- Use a larger maximum deviation
Using a larger deviation makes your broker more flexible in filling your order within the deviation range. Even if there is a price slippage, the broker might be able to provide you an order price within the deviation limit. If you still face an off quotes problem after maximizing the deviation, we recommend you immediately contact your broker and report the issue. Please note that for a 5-digit price, a 30 pips deviation means 3 pips. For a 4-digit price, a 3 pips deviation means actual 3 pips.
- Customize your MT4 EA (Expert Advisor)
If you’re using an EA for executing orders and having off quotes problems, then you might make a few changes in your expert advisor coding. All you need to do is to set a maximum number of X times until the order is filled by the broker server. Here is an example:
- Check your internet connection
Due to poor internet connection, there might be a delay, disconnection, or latency between your MT4 platform and the broker server. So, whenever you notice more frequent off-quotes than usual, simply check your internet connection and make sure your MT4 is online and not facing any obstacles in connecting to your broker server.